Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Happy I Didn't Have Brussel Sprouts

Where it all began


Quite often my baking and cooking plans are determined by my own cravings or what might be lying around the house getting ready to go "belly up" if I don't do something with it soon. Tonight's baking experience is brought to you by the need to utilize the orange sitting on my counter top before it shriveled up and croaked.

I'm sure you're thinking, "why don't you just eat the orange?" A valid point. But I feel that anything already tasty can be made even tastier with the addition of butter, sugar and a myriad of spices. I do not claim to be a health food devotee. While I detest the idea of antibiotics, hormones, strange man made chemicals and preservatives in my food, I adore things that come from cows and chickens and trees, flowers, birds and bees. So I have worked over the past couple years to move to organic options whenever available, experiment with more natural sweeteners such as honey and raw sugar and boost flavors with fruits, nuts and all the wonderful spices and herbs there are out there.

So, I will not apologize for my unconditional love of all things baked and buttery. Which led me to take the orange and start adding friends to the party to come up with Orange Ginger Spiced Muffins.

With the exception of the streusel topping, which tastes fine, but doesn't have the look I was going for, they turned out just right. A nice warm orange flavor base, enough ginger to have a little bite, but not overwhelm. I think the next time, I'll add the walnuts to the muffin and omit it from the streusel. Otherwise, can't think of anything I'd change.

I don't have photos of the process tonight as I wasn't sure I would be ready to post the recipe on the first run. But I think I'll put it out here and let you see what you think. Make sure and let me know if you try any of the recipes and how they work for you. I'd love to hear your ideas.

Oh, what does this post have to do with the brussel sprouts in the title? Nothing other than I'm just really happy I didn't have to come up with some sort of brussel sprout beet quinoa cake or something....

* I'm not including the streusel for the recipe now, because I don't really like the one I used.....there are a multitude of streusel toppings out there on the interweb. Search around. Once I come up with one I really like, I'll share.



Orange Ginger Spiced Muffins (makes 18 regular sized muffins)

Ingredients   

3 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ginger
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg or 1/4 Tsp Dried Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Ground Cardamom
2/3 Cup Golden or Regular Raisins
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)
1/2 Cup Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
5 Tbsp Butter, Melted
5 Tbsp Canola Oil
2 Large Eggs
1/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
Zest of 1 Large Orange

Process

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter or spray muffin pan or use paper liners

Using small saucepan heat raisins and orange juice over low heat until just warmed. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to soften raisins and soak up some of the juice. Drain using fine mesh strainer and set juice aside to use later.

In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom.

In medium mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream (yogurt), cream (milk), eggs, orange juice, melted butter, canola oil and zest

Toss raisins (and walnuts if using) in flour mixture with plastic spatula just to coat, make well in center. Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and gently fold with spatula until just mixed. May have streaks or chunks of dry flour in batter, this is ok. The secret to having fluffy, tender muffins is not over mixing.

Spoon into muffin pans and bake for 18-20 minutes rotating pan half way through baking. 

Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and eat.

Call the neighbors to take some home with them if you are all alone....

















No comments:

Post a Comment